REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
8 AM to 5 PM, SILANGAN HALL
CULTURAL CENTER OF THE PHILIPPINES
Conducted by SCBWI President Steve Mooser and Philippine members of the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI) www.scbwi.org
* Meet and Greet, Book Browsing
* Welcome Remarks (Emily Abrera)
* Opening Remarks (Beaulah Taguiwalo)
* Introductions (Dominique “Nikki” Torres)
* Children’s Lit Booktalk (Beaulah & Nikki)
* What’s the Buzz in Philippine Children’s Books? (Neni Sta. Romana Cruz)
* Looking for Treasure—And Finding It in Writing (Steve Mooser)
* Between Enchantment & Realism: Philippine Children’s Books Today (Karina Bolasco)
* Humor and Character (Steve Mooser)
* From 2D-3D Children’s Author-Illustrator to Foldabots Paper Engineer (Jomike Tejido)
* The Future of Children’s Books (Steve Mooser)
* Children’s Books Worldwide (Beaulah Taguiwalo)
* Certificates, Book Prizes (Nikki)
Steve Mooser is the President and co-founder of the Los Angeles based Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI). The author of nearly sixty books for children, when Steve Mooser began writing books for children he did it with a bang: in the space of five years he wrote 250 books, K-4, for the SWRL Reading Program published by Ginn. He has since written a number of major reading programs for several companies including Ginn, American Book Company, and Harcourt Brace, Jovanovich.
Most readers know Steve for his trade books, which began with the publication of 101 Black Cats (Scholastic) in 1975, and continued through 1999’s release, Maid Marian’s Adventures in Sherwood Forest: A Girls to the Rescue Novel (Meadowbrook). He has written in every genre: picture books (The Ghost with the Halloween Hiccups), to series books (The Creepy Creature Club; It’s a Weird, Weird School), to nonfiction (Lights! Camera! Scream!), to novels (Elvis Is Back and He’s in the Sixth Grade). His most recent easy reader series is Goofball Malone, Ace Detective.
Neni Sta. Romana Cruz is a children’s book author, book reviewer, journalist, and educator. She has conducted numerous writing workshops here and abroad, has nine published books, and essays in over twenty anthologies.
Karina Africa Bolasco is a children’s author and Publishing Manager of Anvil Publishing Inc., the country’s biggest publisher. She is an eight-time recipient of the Manila Critics Circle’s Publisher of the Year Award.
Jomike Tejido is the author-illustrator of Tagu-Taguan, and the illustrator of Lub-Dub, Lub-Dub, both NCBA award winners. Also an architect, his latest book as a paper engineer is Foldabots Toy Book Vol. 3, published by Summit Media.
Beaulah Pedregosa Taguiwalo is a book designer and children’s illustrator. Her work is in more than 55 books. She designed and produced 15 mother tongue children’s books in 2009, and 10 seafarer children’s books in 2010.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. No last minute walk-ins, sit-ins, observers, or anyone below 18 years of age. We reserve the right to ensure the safe and proper conduct of this event by imposing additional rules as we see fit.
QUESTIONS? Text 0905-347-1668 or 0917-787-495. Or email email@example.com. Or visit scbwiphilippines.wordpress.com for the latest details.